Friday, November 2, 2007

A Case for the Blahs

Maybe I do know why I am down. I have always been such a mushy-heart and their have been some really depressing developments in my area lately.
This morning there was news of a terrible car accident that claimed the lives of two local teens, a brother and sister. It is so very sad. I can only imagine the grief of this family and their friends and schoolmates. I don't even know them, but I just want to hug them. Having lost two siblings myself, I am particularly saddened for the one remaining child in this family. This loss will shape the rest of his life. I am praying for their pastor today - that God will give him some words of encouragement for this stricken family. It is possible that the day will come when Ben and I have such a tragedy in a church, and I pray now that if that time comes, He will help us to minister to the grieving.
Also, this week has not been a good one for the ministry around here. I found out this week that a local church that we love and respect had to let their youth minister go because of an extra-marital affair with another staff member. He has two little kids. It is so discouraging for ministers and their families when something like this happens. The guy is probably a believer and just messed up in a really big way. But, because of his actions there are people who will shake their heads and say, "These things always happen in churches." Now, I am not really pro-youth ministry, but I am pro-church - not just because my husband happens to be a minister, but because I love my God and the church as His people. I had really wonderful experiences with church people. Unfortunately, I have had bad ones, too. We have to remember that as long as the church is on earth, it will still be made up of regular, sinful people. As Ben always says, "The best of men are men at best."

Pray for those who are grieving. Death, loss, and disappointment are parts of life, so there is always someone who needs prayer and comforting.

Weeping may endure for a night, But joy comes in the morning. Psalm 30:5

No comments: