Friday, November 2, 2007

Not So Deep Thoughts

Hello and Happy Friday or whatever. Today, I have the blahs for no good reason.
<------I look like this. We are thinking about going to see Bee Movie tonight. Maybe that will cheer me up. Or maybe something good will come in the mail. I am not expecting anything, but you never know. Mail always cheers me up. Between the mail and Jerry Seinfeld, I should snap out of it by tomorrow.
Anywho, Ben preached on John Huss Wednesday. Huss was a very interesting proto-reformer. He came under the influences of John Wyclif and was eventually martyred for his preaching and writing against abuses of the clergy. The Roman Catholic Church considered his teachings heretical and Hus was excommunicated in 1411, condemned by the Council of Constance, and burned at the stake in 1415. An interesting tidbit about Hus: Amongst Hus' last words are allegedly that, "in 100 years, God will raise up a man whose calls for reform cannot be suppressed." Martin Luther nailed his 95 Theses of Contention to a church door in Wittenburg 102 years later. Just reflecting on his life and sacrifices are making me feel that I should really be in a lot better mood. Because of Huss and the men that followed him, I can read the Bible in my own language and attend a Protestant church, and I don't believe I have to earn merit with God. I feel better already!

No comments: