Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Keeping the Sabbath

If you know me, you know that I hate a mess. And they seem to happen all around me. How does this house get sooooo messy? There is laundry, mopping, dishes, junk mail, and the dreadful toothpaste splotches on the sink. They occupy my mind when I am gone and wake me up when I am sleeping. I am starting to wonder if something is wrong with me.
Anyway, the point of all of this is that Ben and I are working on keeping the Sabbath in a better way, and I am having a hard time with this aspect of it: Sunday afternoon was a time of napping and cleaning. It was working well. I was able to clean and do laundry on Sunday afternoon and then, begin Monday morning with a shiny, mess-free house. (Those of you who are not clean-a-holics cannot appreciate the euphoria associated with this.)
Now, however, we are focusing on putting aside worldly cares on Sunday for public and private worship time. It is taking me some work to do this, especially with my arch-enemy, the toothpaste splotchy, leering at me from the sink. I know it will be worthwhile. The Lord has commanded us to have this day of rest, refreshment, and remembrance of Him. It is for His glory and our good. Our lives are so busy, that we often do not slow down and reflect on a God so good that he commands us to rest! A renewed focus on the Sabbath may be just what our society needs. So, there dirty sink! Take that!

No comments: