Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Believers in Business

Oral Robert University has recently been in the news because a lawsuit filed against the university. The suit involves allegations against Oral Roberts, his son, Richard Roberts, and their families. The accusations include nepotism, illegal involvement in a local political campaign and lavish spending. If you are not familiar with these allegations, this link outlines the case.

Ben and I watched Richard Roberts and his wife, Lyndsey, on Larry King Live last week. Although my own theology and worship style differs greatly from most students and professors at ORU, I found myself rooting for Mr. & Mrs. Roberts. I really hoped that they could easily explain the situation. I know that Christian leaders are often a target, and I was hoping that this was the case. Unfortunately, I was disappointed with the interview.

Today, I don't want to speculate on the validity of the Oral Roberts case. I expect that the truth will find its way to the surface. Another aspect of this sitution has attracted my attention. Many Christians are outraged about the allegations and are vocalizing their objections on the radio, television, and even in our local churches. While most of these concerns are valid, I hope that we are holding ourselves to the same standards that we expect of the Roberts Family. I have worked in several small businesses which are owned by Christian men and women. Unfortunately, in every single case, I saw disgustingly immoral business practices and behavior that no one would bring to church on Sunday. Even when working in a Christian school, I was shocked to find that you are expected to leave your convictions at the door. The pressure to get ahead, be the best, and make the most money has gotten into every industry.

Christians, each of us is called to work as if we work for the Lord. Whether we are poets or preachers, believers should be held to the same standards every day of the week. Ben and I both have friends who are planning to go into business for themselves. Our prayer and encouragement for those of you who aspire to this is that you will remember that you carry the name of Christ into every workday, meeting, business lunch, contract negotiation, etc. Let his presence and the guidance of Scripture direct your practices. Expect from yourselves the same integrity that you expect from your pastors, deacons, and Sunday school teachers.
This line of thinking will pervade every aspect of our work: relationships, how we spend our time on the clock, our attitude at work, and our expectations. We can trust Christ to provide the level of success and the amount of income we have. After all, our working relationships, just like every aspect of our lives, are for His glory and our good.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said! Great blog entry! You might want to mention (or link) John Piper's sermon exerpt on the scandal.

Ben and Christie Rogers said...

Well....I don't want to seem that I am making a judgement on Piper's reference. He was using it in a different context than what I am talking about here. For those interested, click the Desiring God link on the blog, and listen to Piper's October 7th sermon excerpt.