Saturday, May 3, 2008

T4G Part II

I had only heard Dr. Mohler preach once before, and I was was very excited to hear his message at Together for the Gospel. I have to admit, that he was a bit over my head. There was so much information that I could not process it all fast enough! He was addressing pastors and seminary students for the most part, and it could be that they are used to hearing the terminology, whereas I had to stop and think about it more often. Nevertheless, God spoke through His servant! If I could give him my thoughts on the sermon, this is how it would go:

Thanks to Dr. Mohler for tackling the difficult topic of why so many hate the atonement. As he introduced the sermon, he turned to Acts 16:26 and also brought forth some questions to consider and answer throughout the message.

*Is the resisitance to the blood of Christ a new thing?

*Why do professing Christians hate it so? - I was struck by the story that you told and by how often I perceive that people (myself included) do not want to deal with the blood, the suffering, the death...I am committed now to study of the Cross and to a new daily focus on Christ's sacrifice.
Particularly helpful was the 3 grouping theories of atonement:

1. The Cross has its affect on humanity

2. The Cross has its affect on hostile spiritual forces.

3. The Cross has its effect in God who propitiated Himself.

Thanks also for the reminder that God demands and provides the penalty for my own sin.

(For a fuller understanding of his message, I recommend downloading the sermon and listening for yourself!, Also, check out Dr. Mohler's blog.)
SIDE NOTE: I want my friends at New Home to read Dr. Mohler's book Culture Shift when we come back this summer. I think you will all particularly relate to his ideas about an exit strategy from schools. I'll bring my copy home!

No comments: