Tuesday, April 29, 2008

T4G

My thoughts were all over the place during John Piper's sermon at Together for the Gospel. He gave me a lot to think about. To be honest, it was kind of surreal sitting under his teaching after having listened to so many of sermons and lectures online and reading his work. For the fullest benefit of his sermon, or any of the messages from the conference, visit the Sovereign Grace website.

As I looked over the notes that I took during Piper's message, I realized that I had been very moved by some of his lesser points. These were not the central issues of his sermon, but were still very good to hear and meditate upon. My thanks to Mr. Piper for these thought-provoking questions and ideas:

1. What creates radical Christian sacrifice?
2. Does prosperity actually influence non-believers? Remember that people can earn prosperity through other means than Christ making him just another ticket to success. When the show starts, you throw the ticket away.
3. The charge to women to become sages of the church. Many of our young women in church are without the mentors that they crave. We must take it upon ourselves to become theologically sound, educated, caring, sacrificing examples for the Christian women who will one day be in need of us.

If you asked my husband, he probably had much different thoughts about Piper's message. In his usual way, he preached a sound sermon and pointed all of us to the Supremecy of Christ, which is wonderful to think on. The thoughts above, were striking to me above and beyond this heart of the message.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The third point you made is to me one of the most neglected responibilities in today's churches. Thanks for bringing it out.

Mama B

Anonymous said...

Very interesting points to ponder Christie...thanks for sharing them with us. Also thanks for the link to Sovereign Grace. I found the mp3 files for the conference...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your entries on this subject Christie. I enjoy reading them and pondering them. Thanks for the link to Sovereign Grace.

Lynn